I was born in Quebec and grew up in an art-rich environment in the Laurentians near Montreal. At 22, I moved to British Columbia’s West Coast to go to graduate school and then stayed on.
For more than 25 years I’ve been pursuing formal art studies to add to a lifetime of informal study. I also hold a BA and MA.
Before turning to a full-time art practice, I was a professional writer and editor, in effect working with language the way I now work with visual art forms: as a means of better observing and processing moments in this fleeting existence we call life.
Many of my projects involve thinking up new approaches to turning quoted passages—poetic, philosophic, scientific, salty—into 2D and 3D artworks.
I work from my light-filled home studio near the ocean and mountains in the Cowichan Valley, near Victoria, British Columbia.
Select Education and Skills Development
Credit courses: Vancouver Island School of Art, Victoria BC (since 2005): abstract colour and form, collage and composition, colour theory, design principles, series development, painting (landscape, figure, still life, portrait)
Workshops: Metchosin International Summer School of the Arts (since 2003): abstract and contemporary art concepts, 3D assemblage sculpture, series development, hot glass sandcasting
Workshops: Vancouver Island Art Workshops (since 2006): abstract mixed media, abstract painting, abstract design, abstract design masterclass
Collaborative Artist’s Mentorship Program, Victoria BC (Connie Michele Morey)
Group coaching program (3 months), The Artist’s Mindset (Cheryl Taves, Insight Creative)
Photojournalism course, Western Academy of Photography, Victoria BC (Ted Grant)
MA, University of Victoria, Victoria BC; BA (Honours), Concordia University, Montreal QC
Memberships Current and Past
- Art Critique Program with contemporary artist Sara Robichaud (9 months)
- co-LAB-orate Art Crit group, Victoria BC
- Cowichan Valley Arts Council
- Victoria Arts Council
- Zebra Arts Collective, Victoria BC
- June-July, 2023: Look Again: A Photographic Art Show, ArtPod Gallery, Metchosin BC
- May-June 2023: 53rd Cowichan Valley Fine Arts Show, Portals Gallery, Duncan BC
- April-May 2023: Trifolia, three-person show, Gage Gallery, Victoria BC
- October-November 2022: Ekphrasis, juried. ArtPod Gallery, Metchosin BC
- June 2022: 6 x 6 x 6, co-LAB-orate group show, Errant artSpace, Victoria BC
- May 2022: 52nd Cowichan Valley Fine Arts Show, Portals Gallery, Duncan BC
- April-May 2022: Room for Not Knowing, solo exhibition, Chapel Gallery, Victoria BC
- October 2021: Seen | Together, exhibition with Louise Oborne, Errant artSpace, Victoria BC
- August 2021: Interlude, five-member group show, Errant artSpace, Victoria BC
- July-August 2021: 35th Sooke Fine Arts Show, juried. Sooke BC
- May 2021: 51st Cowichan Valley Fine Arts Show, Portals Gallery, Duncan BC
- February/March 2021: 9th biennial Ladysmith Fine Arts Show, juried. Ladysmith BC
- July 2020: Summer Show, Victoria Arts Council, VAC Gallery, Victoria BC
- May 2020: 50th Annual Fine Arts Show, Portals Gallery, Duncan BC (Hon. Mention award)
- April 2020: UNTIL online gallery (Issue 4), Victoria Arts Council, Victoria BC
- Nov 2019: In Light of Winter, Zebra Art Collective group show, Chapel Gallery, Victoria BC